Washable Sin?


वाशेबल पाप? Washable Sin - a title for a discussion show on a News channel caught my attention and I happened to listen to all of the program and what the panel members had to say.

The panel was obviously a combination of believers in the concept of the Kumbha Mela and the fact that one gets rid of his sins after taking a dip in the holy waters of the Ganga and the other who opposed it (I cant stop calling them to be real and practical thinking people) not that I was approving neither of them.

All there discussion caught me thinking on what it could be and below is what I think on it. My thoughts of how I interpret it to be or could have been or you can say with today's relevance it should be.

There are two sections of the society or 2 different thought processes which talk about these ritual and practices.

The ancient belief that if you take a dip in the holy waters of the Ganga washes all your sins.
I think there is a deep thought and meaning to what is said or what is just believed to be a dip today. It could have been the fact or I would like to say that this is my thought of Kumbha Mela and getting rid of your sins is with relevance to today's time-

The fact that the Kumbha Mela as it is called arrives every 12 years means more than a decade. And according to the Indian Vedas there are 4 ashramas in a life of an individual who lives approx. up to 100 yrs. (which today has come down to 80) So if we consider we might not be wrong, that if before entering each ashram stage an individual who lives 80-100 yrs of his life gets an opportunity to attend or witness Kumbh Melas at least 5 times in his life time. So if we consider this time after every decade (the Kumbha Mela) or in the transaction period from one ashram to another as a time we get to introspect on our past and ponder over our future, it could be a way of looking at it as washing away our sins. So its like cleaning ourselves and getting ready for our life ahead.

I think in today's times we need to think real, think practical and see where we are leading. Giving our rituals a new meaning which will be relevant to the present scenario and relating them in the right way will help us grow.

If we the common people wont realize and accept the fact than there are people who will take advantage of the blind faith and fill their own pocket in the name of God. And then they would be the 'Asuras' of this century. (if I may say so)

On one hand we talking about being a Super Power and on the other blindly following the rituals is going to take us nowhere but down. I don't ever mean that the ancient past and the scripts are of no use. Rather i would like to believe if the knowledge and rituals used wisely and taken the real meaning as per today's time  and staying true to it we wont be far from becoming the Super Power.

I think we just need to keep our eyes wide open and use our brains extensively.

Comments

Popular Posts